Welcome! Thank you for visiting my website.
I’m Dawn Kingston, an Associate Professor at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. My mission is to help women to live their lives to the fullest – at work and in life.
I hold a Research Chair through Alberta’s only women’s hospital and the University of Calgary (The Lois Hole Hospital for Women Cross-Provincial Chair in Perinatal Mental Health). This position allows me to concentrate on the two things I love most:
- Helping pregnant women to have strong emotional health so that they can be the parent they want to be, and so their children can have the best start in life….for the greatest chance of success throughout their lives.
- Developing leaders who will make their mark in this field.
On this blog, I’ll share my research and writing on both of these topics.
In the section, Prenatal Emotional Health, I’ll share answers to questions that I hear over and over again from women, their families and their prenatal care providers, such as:
- Do other women struggle with anxiety or depression when they’re pregnant?
- How do I know if my emotions are normal for pregnancy – or something more?
- How do I know if I’m struggling with anxiety or depression?
- What should I do if I’m having feelings of anxiety or depression?
- What causes prenatal depression and anxiety?
- How do I know if I’m at risk to become depressed or anxious when I’m pregnant?
- Should I take medications for anxiety or depression while I’m pregnant?
- Will my baby be harmed by my anxiety or depression?
- How can I keep emotionally healthy after I have my baby?
If these are questions you have, this is the place for you!
What You Can Expect
I aim to post a new blog each week. If you don’t want to miss out on this new information, feel free to sign up for updates by entering your email in the subscribe section to the right. It’s quick and easy and you can unsubscribe at any time.